•   Notifications
  • Welcome to our forums

Join us now to get access to all our awesome features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more.

+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I can hear Boise State fans now...
  • Share This Thread!
    • Share on Facebook
  • Hybrid View

I can hear Boise State fans now...

Bu...bu...bu....but....AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

And people thought the Broncos could go through an SEC season undefeated.

They can't even get through the WAC.
      Benjamin Dial
      Director of Marketing, South
      The Sports Jury LLC.

Senior College Football Writer | College Football Moderator
      [email protected]

This is the happiest day of my life!!!
      Lucas Bleskacek
      Die-Hard Fan of the 2010 0-16 Buffalo Bills
      Fantasy Sports analyst | Fantasy Sports Moderator

Like I said, all of the one loss power conference schools should be ranked ahead of TCU and Boise. Does anyone think that LSU, Stanford, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Okie State, or Ohio State? At this point, Boise should probably be ranked behind the best two-loss teams like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas

I'm not sure what the tiebreaker is in the WAC, but they are one of three teams with 1 conference. Either way, they aren't going to a BCS game. The BSU kicker has to live with knowing that he cost his university at least 16 million in bowl revenue...ouchers.
      Benjamin Dial
      The Sports Jury LLC.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by bendial View Post
      Like I said, all of the one loss power conference schools should be ranked ahead of TCU and Boise. Does anyone think that LSU, Stanford, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Okie State, or Ohio State? At this point, Boise should probably be ranked behind the best two-loss teams like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas

I'm not sure what the tiebreaker is in the WAC, but they are one of three teams with 1 conference. Either way, they aren't going to a BCS game. The BSU kicker has to live with knowing that he cost his university at least 16 million in bowl revenue...ouchers.
      Well first of all the game should of never went down to game winning FG. However, if you are making fun of Boise, what does that say about the ACC when Boise beat Va Tech who looks to be the ACC champion yet you are cool with them in the BCS? What about the Big East? Boise got where they are at by working hard and they crapped the bed when they needed to win.
      I am going to be honest. I think Boise could be a front runner or winner of the Big 10. What special team has OSU beat this year? Please answer that? Wisconsin has faced bum teams. MSU like always when they look like they are going to break through lose a game of big time importance.
      The SEC is tough no doubt about it but in a one game setting Boise has a chance of beating them and the way the system is set up, they can and have proven that. However they do not deserve that chance now. Plus lets give credit where credit is due, Nevada is a decent team (not a powerhouse though)
      Ryan Wilson
      Senior NHL analyst | NHL Forum Moderator
      http://www.thesportsjury.com

Quote Originally Posted by bendial View Post
      I'm not off on some other tangent. I was using your own quote.

I have never said I'm against a playoff system. I've always been in favor of a playoff system. But hey guys, here is a news flash: WE DON'T HAVE A PLAYOFF SYSTEM. The discussion we have to deal with has to deal with the bowl system and the BCS.
      That was the point Ben.

Heh, they probably wouldn't have seen a dime from BCS game revenue anyway.

They being Boise State?
      Benjamin Dial
      The Sports Jury LLC.

[email protected]

Yeah. I don't know if all conferences pool their profit, but if you read the Dan Wetzel article I posted, between expenses, transportation, accommodations and ticket sale guarantees, few schools actually leave bowls with profit. Ohio State lost money by going to a BCS bowl last year while Michigan pocketed a cool $2.2 million for not going bowling.

If the WAC doesn't pool bowl profits, then yeah, Brotzman probably cost them a decent chunk of change. I don't think it'd be in the tens of millions range though. Maybe three or four after expenses.

According to the bowl payouts, he cost Boise State 16 million in bowl revenues. I don't know what the WAC does with bowl revenue, but in "gross" terms, his wide right and wide left was a 16 million dollar choke job.
      Benjamin Dial
      The Sports Jury LLC.

[email protected]

I guess I just don't see the harm in giving one of these schools a shot. Sure, they don't really play anyone, but if Boise beat Oregon this year instead of last year people would find a different excuse. And its not like we've never seen a NCG blowout before.

If they win, get them to join a big conference. If they lose, tell them no more chances till they do join a big conference. I'm willing to bet both BSU and TCU could have won the Big East and/or ACC this year. Maybe the Big XII too, but that ones a huge maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneius View Post
      I guess I just don't see the harm in giving one of these schools a shot. Sure, they don't really play anyone, but if Boise beat Oregon this year instead of last year people would find a different excuse. And its not like we've never seen a NCG blowout before.

If they win, get them to join a big conference. If they lose, tell them no more chances till they do join a big conference. I'm willing to bet both BSU and TCU could have won the Big East and/or ACC this year. Maybe the Big XII too, but that ones a huge maybe.
      The harm is giving them a shot they didn't earn. Boise losing to Nevada is EXACTLY the point my article was making about putting Boise State and TCU in the championship game. There are probably 20 teams in the nation that would be just as undefeated as Boise and TCU right now if they had either of their schedules.

The harm goes to the teams that play a legit schedule and get screwed out of a shot by some watered-down team with a schedule full of bums. Like my article said, it isn't about punishing Boise and TCU for the conferences they play in; it's about not punishing the teams that play in a conference that puts them up against murderer's row for their conference slate of games.
      Benjamin Dial
      The Sports Jury LLC.

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Geneius View Post

The Big Least (maybe). ACC no. Big 12, Big10, SEC, Pac10 (HELL NO)
      William Bryhn
      President & CEO
      The Sports Jury LLC.

[email protected]

@bendial:

I can't reply with quote on BlackBerry, but yeah, in gross he definitely cost them around that. In terms of profit, far less. Still something that I'm sure will weigh on him for quite some time.

I wonder if at any point in time BSU's coach considered punching it in from the one, but with the FG being only 26 yards, probably not. That's as close to charity points as it gets.

What about this year though, where a Virginia Tech team that lost to James Madison, and a very mediocre team in UConn (if they win out I think they hold the tiebreaker vs. WVU, Pitt and Cuse) or even a 7-5 Pitt team (longshot at this point, but still possible) are BCS bowling?

Should TCU and Boise be punished till they join a better conference? Well, probably, actually. But I don't think letting TCU and Boise into a BCS game this year (if Boise had won today) is any worse than allowing UConn, Pitt, WVU or VT. Hell, Boise even beat VT (yes, I know, VT is 9-1 since).

It's not any worse than letting V-Tech or whoever wins the Big East this year. When the BCS renegotiates with conferences, I think they should leave the Big East off the AQ list.

This is just a down year for the ACC. They usually deserve a BCS bid. But the Big East been in a downward trend for a while now.

But to say, "well, UConn doesn't deserve a BCS bid, so it's okay to give two other teams that haven't earned an BCS bid" is sort of a silly argument. It's like saying, "Well, this OJ got away with murder, so let's let those two guys get away with it also."
      Benjamin Dial
      The Sports Jury LLC.

[email protected]

Hard to argue against that, really. I give Boise at least a little credit in trying to schedule tougher opponents in Oregon last year and VTech this year. Had those games been reversed, they'd definitely have a legitimate argument in both years. TCU, on the other hand, has more cupcakes than a bakery.

I don't know which way I lean more towards when it comes to this argument though. On one hand, Boise has proven before they can hang with the best of some of the bigger conferences (down year for Oklahoma or not) while on the other hand, if you feel you're good enough shut up and switch conferences.

I'd still like for college football to employ some sort of +1 system if they're adamant about not having a playoff. If you have three or four legit unbeatens (sit down, TCU, I don't mean you), let them play in each other in a BCS game. If two are left standing, there's your +1. If only one is left, there's your unanimous National Champion.

LSU has the biggest chance to jump. Even though I really dont agree with a non conference champion in the NCG, but if the beat 12 Arky and Oregon or auburn loses then they may jump TCU since they play a 1-10 NMU team this week. Boise probably jumps to 15-20 range in my books. Nevada would be 1 spot ahead of them in that same range..
      Jonathan Colao
      TSJ Blogger | Sports Analyst

"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."
      Vince Lombardi

It is looking like big east will add TCU

Big east is truly pathetic, but most years they actually have been respectable

I think the solution is putting a clause in that you have to be in the top 15 of bcs rankings to make a bcs bowl (regardless if you won your conference)
      Aaron Kearns
      Artist Formerly Known as steelcity
      TSJ analyst | NFL Moderator

Lol at everyone waiting until boise state finally losses to say SEE I TOLD YOU SO (it was going to happen eventually). They beat Oklahoma, beat Oregon, beat TCU, beat VT

They obviously don’t deserve to be in BCS now, but if any other school lost to the number 19 team in nation, it wouldn’t be used to discredit all they have done.

None of you “Called” anything, since you probably predicted them to lose to okl, Oregon, tcu, and VT bragging when they finally do is kind of laughable… 1 out 5 isn’t bad
      Aaron Kearns
      Artist Formerly Known as steelcity
      TSJ analyst | NFL Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRivers View Post
      Lol at everyone waiting until boise state finally losses to say SEE I TOLD YOU SO (it was going to happen eventually). They beat Oklahoma, beat Oregon, beat TCU, beat VT

They obviously don’t deserve to be in BCS now, but if any other school lost to the number 19 team in nation, it wouldn’t be used to discredit all they have done.

None of you “Called” anything, since you probably predicted them to lose to okl, Oregon, tcu, and VT bragging when they finally do is kind of laughable… 1 out 5 isn’t bad
      They beat an undeserving Oklahoma -- 4 years ago.

I didn't realize games played 4 years ago still count towards a teams resume.
      William Bryhn
      President & CEO
      The Sports Jury LLC.

[email protected]